Monday, December 8, 2008

Nice To Know That.....

I'm one of those gun owners who've been stocking up on ammunition. And if I could sneak it past my wife there is a a new pistol or two that I'd like to add to the collection. Here Obama tells us that we have nothing to worry about, that he will respect the right to keep and bear arms. He says: "I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."

Attention your president-electedness: THAT'S THE PROBLEM!!! "...common-sense gun safety laws..."? Whose common-sense will be the standard? Chuck Shumer's? Yours? The only thing that we can go on is your record and it isn't one that makes a lot of gun owners feel all warm and fuzzy. You've advocated for draconian tax increases on ammunition. It would be just like you to parse your campaign rhetoric and say that it makes perfect common sense to raise the price of ammunition, or to say that you were talking about gun laws and not ammunition laws. By the time that a lot of this stuff hits the floor, market forces will drive up the costs of guns and ammo, costs which happen to already be sky-high thanks to Obama's buddies in the trial lawyers.

Perhaps if Obama could point to meaningful anti-criminal legislation where he favors stiff, draconian penalties for criminals who perpetrate any felony with a gun in their possession, then maybe we wouldn't be running out trying to buy all of the ammunition that we can get our hands on. As it is, I have a lot more to say. But I'm headed out to Wal-Mart to buy some more jumbo boxes of .45 ACP and 9 mm.

No comments: